Saturday, May 14, 2011

Memories

Today when I stepped outside of my house to go to work, I was unexpectedly bombarded with alot of memories. Not any specific ones but kind of just all at once random ones came flooding into my mind. All because of a specific smell-- the world after a rain shower. I was instantly transported back into time two summers ago to Papua New Guinea.

There is nothing like the smell of the world after a legit rainforest shower. We got to experience many showers while in PNG. That included alot of mud and goop on our flip flops.

I spent 5 weeks in Papua New Guinea with New Tribes Mission in 2009. What a growing experience for me! It was my first time away from my family, away from my country (besides Canada), away from all that was familiar to me. I experienced culture stress, jet lag galore, new sights and sounds and smells too. It was the best and worst summer of my life to that point. Many opportunities to get out of my comfort zone for sure. I will treasure the memories the Lord gave me of that time in PNG. He gave me my heart's desire and I am so thankful to Him.


One of the things that is the same in PNG and Chiapas are the bananas. They are ginormous bunches that grow on trees and taste really yummy fresh picked. These bananas I am holding were given to my team leader, Christopher at a village he and some of the team went to for walter filters and a children's program. This is the jungle way of working out. No fitness centers or diets for these people. Just alot of hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment