Sunday, February 27, 2011

Favorite Memories....

Hey All,

As June 4th gets closer and closer, I've been doing alot of thinking about Mexico. (Actually, I haven't really stopped thinking about it since my trip last summer.) But lately I've been remembering specific memories of my time there. I have some of those captured on film and thought I'd sure a few with you all.

This is our team on the first night in my favorite village, Llano Grande. We sat in the guys' house and sang songs in Spanish and in English together and many of the people came and sat and listened. A precious time for sure!


One of my favorite memories of the trip was riding on the Pathfinder with my dear friends Pete and Hannah at night. There's nothing quite like riding through the mountains with the breeze blowing our hair, singing at the top of our lungs. I smile just thinking of it :) And yes, I am the girl in the middle looking slightly possessed :D


Washing our hair in the jungle was an experience! This was our last night in Ch'ol and we were sticky and dirty and just wanted clean hair so us girls decided to have a hair washing party at the sink outside. Very cold and refreshing!


A girl in one of the villages we stopped at to do a kids program. She had long hair so we just sat together and I played with her hair. She didn't even speak good Spanish let alone english so I couldn't communicate well with her verbally. But I will always remember the moments I spent with this sweet girl.


A lady from one of the villages with two of her children. I'll never forget her either. She told us that her husband has been working in the States for 4 years now. He sends money sometimes but usually, she never hears from him. Her house is very small. Maybe 3 rooms with a dirt floor and a tin roof. Her 14 year old son was sleeping in a hammock when we came. He looked so young to me. She said pray for him. He needs a dad and he is getting into drugs and alcohol and refuses to attend church. Oh, how my heart breaks for her! Such a strong lady but having to care for 4 children alone is so hard. I don't even know her name but she will always be in my heart, too.


One of my duties was making sure the guys working on the roof properly cared for their cuts. They often went for hours without cleaning them out so I was the bandaid police.


Me and my beautiful amiga Gabriella. We had SO much fun and many good laughs together. We were tanning, Spanish speaking, mountain climbing, serious girl talking buddies. I love her very much and can't wait to see her in 3 months!!!



In Llano Grande one of the women asked if she could braid my hair so even though it was really dirty, I let her. As usual, I had a very attentive audience. I can't really express how much the people in this village high in the mountains mean to me. They are so dear to my heart and I can't wait to revisit them.



These are just a few of the thousands of memories I have from my time in Chiapas. I wish I had the time to write about each one but I don't. I hope you all enjoyed another glimpse into life in Mexico. Please keep praying for me as the trip gets closer and closer. Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment